Thompsons of Carlow is Ireland's longest established engineering company specialising in structural steelwork, bridges, marine structures, motorway gantries and general construction.
In 2005 we moved into a new 40,000 square foot production facility where advanced methods of production are aided by CNC machinery and 3D computer modelling.
Within the facility we have a capacity to handle single units up to 40 tonnes and can automatically shot blast structures up to 2½ m deep.
Thompsons have constructed the majority of the steel bridges erected in Ireland over the last decade and have worked for many of the countries leading contractors and clients.
The company aims to provide high quality projects in a safe construction industry so as to ensure that targets of both programme and budget are achieved.
The original company was established in 1878 by Thomas Thompson. His introductory letter is still the object of this company. The business now has over 120 years experience and has traded through a large number of economic cycles producing engineering products, which have been specified by our customers. These have included farm machinery, turbines, haulage wagons, hydro electric installations, road making plants, ammunitions, aeroplane parts, heavy steel construction, peat processing machinery, hydraulic machinery, canal barges, fibre glass boats, tipping gears and truck bodies.
First under it's founder and afterwards under the late Fred Thompson, the firm expanded to acquire premises and businesses in Dublin, Waterford, Cork, Wexford, Carrick-on-Suir and Ballyellen. This policy was continued under the direction of Peter Thomas who became Managing Director in 1944.
One thing which Thompsons has never done is stand still, nor has it ever baulked at meeting new challenges. But even more important, the firm's expansionist policy has always been matched by workmanship from highly skilled craftsmen, a level of high performance that continues today, combining the latest in technological knowledge and equipment with the well - proved engineering skills of true craftsmen.
The pictures displayed below will show more truly than any words the diversity and quality of Thompsons activities over the past hundred years. Indeed in their own way they tell not only the story of the progressive firm, but of the country of which this firm is a part.
Today Thompsons are proud that the company is a leading structural steel producer in Ireland and the leading truck body manufacturer in both England and Ireland.
Thomas Thompson, Founder, 1877-1914
An illustration of Hanover Works, the 1st location of Thomas Thompson & Son Ltd
Ireland's first suspension bridge was built by Thompsons over The River Liffey in 1906
Bristol fighter wings and struts were made by Thomas Thompson & Son Ltd in Carlow during the 1914-1918 War
Sugar factory under construction in 1925
A barge being transported along Barrack Street, Carlow
One of 100 tipping trailers supplied to Great Southern Railways to haul beet from farms in the 1920's
The 1st Irish extruded aluminium body with V5 underbody tipping gear in 1956